A few weeks ago my dear mum Bette Calman decided it was time to retire from teaching after 56+ years.
She is known around the world for her energy + vitality in all things yoga, health, life + as well as her love of cat suits!
We are happy she is going to moving to the warmth of FNQ to spend time with a cherished friend, but as her daughter there was a moment when I got very teary; because it symbolizes the end of a chapter in life ~ both hers + mine.
I dont expect her to go anywhere soon but.….time is marching on and I want to get to know her ~ as the woman behind the labels of ‘mother, yoga teacher and wife’. She has been my biggest influence and the older I get the more I am like her! My family keep telling that I am getting more quirky like ‘Nanna Bette’…. its not a bad thing to be like your mum!
I see in my healing practice so many mother/daughter issues and I didnt want to live in dis-harmony so .…
- I let her off the hook for her shortcomings so I could make peace with my past + step into my future as an empowered woman with an open heart + mind.
- I became my own mother and treated myself with more love + gentleness which helped my health, wellbeing + happiness.
My mother gave me the best beginning in life that she could ~ its up to me what I do with that legacy…..
Here are some things I have learnt from our recent conversations.
- Bette was in India when the Beatles were there….. In fact they were at the same ashram
- Bette visited the Playboy Mansion as a guest of Hugh Hefner…….too scared to ask!
- Before she found yoga she smoked 2 packets of cigarettes a day + used to be called Trigger
- Bette married Bruce because he was dependable + trustworthy even though he was not Catholic!
- She never wastes time on gossip or belittling another human being
- She finds something positive to say to everyone otherwise she wont say a thing
- She taught me to believe in the healing power of my own body
- Bette has never uttered the words ‘I am tired’
- She thinks Chris Judd from Carlton has the best legs in the world
To be continued…..
What do you know about your Mum….?